|Job Title:||Embedded Systems Engineer||Visa Requirement||Must have right to work in UK|
|Reports to:||Head of Technology||Job Type||Full Time|
|Challenging and exciting opportunity for an established Embedded Systems Engineer to join an award-winning start-up company in the Aberdeen area.|
The successful candidate will support the company in their journey to transition from proof-of-principle technology development to a structured, medium volume manufacturing environment. This is likely to require utilising external development resources and a key need is to ensure effective management of development resources, with a focus on knowledge transfer to internal stakeholders.
The technologies and products being developed will revolutionise chemical analysis of petroleum fluids. The Embedded Systems Engineer will play a pivotal role in defining, delivering, testing, gaining regulatory approvals for and ultimately maintaining the embedded electronics and firmware of the product. They will be the primary technical interface in respect of instrument control systems for external development resources, suppliers and clients.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working on embedded systems within the target marine sector although experience in other comparable industries and / or similar industrial instrumentation will be considered favourably. In-house expertise in the chemical analysis aspects of the products exists to provide support.
- Provide the technical know-how to inform architectural choices, providing detailed analysis and recommendations for critical technical choices and decisions relating to embedded systems.
- Planning and delivery of embedded systems development tasks to meet the strategic business priorities.
- Identification, selection and management of resources in respect of the embedded systems to deliver the product in line with agreed business targets.
- Establishing project management and reporting with external partners in respect of the embedded electronics and firmware to ensure quality, delivery and cost targets are satisfied.
- Product life cycle management of the embedded systems of chemical analysis instrumentation including:
- Requirements capture and specification
- Detailed design
- Design validation
- Production release & configuration management
- Production validation & regulatory approval
- Continuous integration / continuous deployment
- Minimum 5 years embedded system programming experience, ideally for instrumentation or sensor products.
- Experience of managing complex technical embedded systems projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong working knowledge of electronics hardware design of radio connected products including manufacture and test.
- Practised in obtaining regulatory product approvals including LVD, EMC, RED.
Extensive knowledge of commercially available micro-controllers.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science or related STEM subject.
- Professional level embedded software skills including C / C++
- Familiar with real time operating systems, e.g. VxWorks / INTEGRIRY / Micrium OS / FreeRTOS / Linux.
- Experience working with 8bit / 32-bit micro-controllers.
- Demonstrable software development life cycle skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge of software quality standards and software quality metrics.
- Demonstrable configuration management skills, an experienced GitHub user.
- Technical knowledge of embedded interfaces UART / I2C /SPI / MIPI / DDR3.
- Practical experience of Wi-Fi / BLE radio protocols and OSI 7 Layer model.
- Able to understand, analyse and test complex schematic circuits and PCB assemblies.
- Clear written and oral communications skills, able to make the complex clear.
- Exceptional focus on quality with high attention to detail.
- Cloud connectivity MQTT, JSON, AWS IOT SDK and/or Microsoft Azure
- Working knowledge of Linux build systems.
- Experienced in designing secure systems resilient to cybersecurity risks.
- Strong mathematical and statistical skills for data analysis / algorithmic development.
- Experience in test driven development and ISTQB software testing.
- Good comprehension of electronics circuit simulation and analysis.
- Strong communicator, able to empathise and bring out the best from a team.
- Structured problem-solving skills combining technical know-how with problem solving techniques.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, highly hands on role.
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organisation, suppliers and third parties.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Able to learn new technologies as required.
Interested? Send your application to email@example.com.